Wednesday, March 24, 2010

And so the wheel turns...

They say you live and you learn. I certainly have learnt some hard lessons this year... Last week I decided, after much thought, angst and guilt, to leave the cadet school. I don't in any way regret my decision to join the programme and I certainly learnt a lot but I realised, with more and more certainty, everyday that passed, that it was not the place for me. I did not have the passion for news-writing or the industry that my fellow cadets had.

In short the reason I spent four years studying science and ecology is because that's what I like best, only I had to leave my field to realise just how much I loved it in the first place. After honours I needed a break. My whole student life I had just assumed I would do my honours, then my masters, then my doctorate. Once I arrived at the point of masters I realised that I did not want to study anymore. I then analysed my passions deciding my love for photography and writing could be combined with my love for science. A friend warned me that turning my hobbies into a career is not always the smart move because you can lose your passion. In retrospect, he may have had a point. I am glad I gave it a shot and I still will be writing and blogging but for now I'm going to try get a job in the environmental field and write for fun again.

This does not mean the end of my blog, since it was about my journey into journalism, but rather a change in direction. I am going to use it as a platform to discuss issues of environment and science giving credible information and useful links. I hope you will remain with me as my journey takes in a new direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment